Stages of hair loss
Hair loss after bariatric surgery or significant weight loss can be common in both men and women. Hair follicles are present in three stages including:
- Anagen (growth) phase
- Catagen (transition) phase
- Telogen (dormant, hair loss) phase
Bariatric hair loss is usually diagnosed as Telogen Effluvium, which is a temporary hair loss. This issue is not fully understood, but hair follicles tend to be forced into the dormant phase which lasts 3-6 months and then falls out. This is usually when many people see hair loss after bariatric surgery.
Common causes of hair loss
- Dramatic weight loss
- Hormonal imbalance
- High stress
- Extreme diet change
- Protein-calorie malnutrition
- Iron or zinc deficiency
- Thyroid issues
Managing hair loss after Bariatric Surgery
Proper nutrition is extremely important in managing post-operative symptoms, including hair loss. Tips for managing hair loss after weight loss surgery are:
- Take your specific bariatric multivitamin daily
- Consume 60-80 grams of protein daily
- Get regular blood work done
It's better to know exactly what is causing the problem before trying to treat hair loss with random supplements. When it comes down to purchasing a hair supplement, it all depends on your exact needs and what you are looking for. Remember, you should never rely on receiving your nutrition solely through dietary supplements. Food should always be your first source of vitamins and minerals, but in some cases like bariatric surgery, additional supplements are necessary.
Bariatric Fusion offers Hair, Skin, and Nails Rejuvenator:
This product was formulated for bariatric patients, but non-bariatric can also take the supplement. Hair, Skin, and Nails Rejuvenator:
- Promotes the appearance of the skin and nails
- Zinc and Copper that support the natural formation of collagen
- Benefits hair growth and appearance
- Horsetail extract and inositol
- Contains folate, biotin, and vitamin B12
- Bariatric patients are at higher risk of being deficient
- Contains OptiMSM
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
Other products for hair thinning:
- Corrective Biotin supplement
- Although biotin deficiency is rare, the signs and symptoms can result in thinning hair and hair loss.
Our bariatric supplements are formulated specifically for Bariatric Surgeries including Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, and Intra-gastric Balloon patients. They are perfectly fine for non bariatric patients as well.
Consider to check a complete collection of gastric bypass vitamins.
Have a look at our blog as well: Zinc After Surgery
**This blog is for information and education purposes only. This information is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions in regards to a medical condition. A qualified healthcare professional can best assist you in deciding whether a dietary supplement is suitable based on your individual needs.