Bariatric surgery can lead to positive weight loss outcomes, but will also result in restriction and/or malabsorption that can put you at high risk for vitamin and mineral deficiencies for the rest of your life. It is important to adhere to a lifelong vitamin and mineral regimen.
Top 2 reasons why a weight loss surgery patient should take a bariatric specific multivitamin
1. This is a multivitamin that contains vitamin and mineral levels above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) values to prevent the common deficiencies after weight loss surgery. With the proper diet and bariatric specific supplements that follow ASMBS guidelines, you can avoid issues in this area.
2. If taking a regular multivitamin, you would have to take additional supplements due to the fact that these products do not contain the high levels of vitamins and minerals required and also offer different forms of vitamins that may not meet bariatric absorption needs. This would end up being more expensive and would put you at a higher risk of deficiency.
Lifelong follow up with lab work will help to catch deficiencies before they cause serious problems. Before you buy a multivitamin, make sure you consult with your healthcare provider to ensure you are receiving the supplements that you need.
What is the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)?
- A medical organization that provides guidelines for vitamin and mineral requirements after weight loss surgery.
- These guidelines were produced by experienced healthcare professionals to ensure that bariatric patients receive all of the vitamins and minerals they need at much higher levels than the average multivitamin supplement.
- Bariatric Fusion vitamin and mineral supplements were formulated based on the ASMBS guidelines and include the most bioavailable forms of each vitamin to optimize absorption.
Bariatric specific multivitamin options available at Bariatric Fusion
Bariatric Fusion offers a variety of multivitamin options necessary for life after weight loss surgery. Our bariatric supplements were designed and formulated by a team of bariatric practitioners dedicated to helping patients along their weight loss journey. Bariatric Fusion offers:
- complete chewable multivitamins (all-inclusive, easy regimen)
- multivitamin capsules (offered as a 1 per day with iron and 2 per day without iron)
- complete chewable multi-ADEK and multi-ADEK capsules (suitable for DS patients)
- soft chew multivitamins (great taste, offers a different texture option)
- stick pack multivitamins (mix in water)