Bariatric surgery requires an adjustment to lifestyle change, including healthy eating. It’s important to know how to budget and navigate the grocery store after weight loss surgery. Below are some tips to save money while food shopping.
Shopping Healthy on a Budget
Have a plan and budget
- Think about what you already have
- Think about your schedule and prepare for your days at work and at home
- Plan for leftovers
- Keep yourself informed on nutrition assistance programs
Make a list
- Only purchase what you need
- Utilize online resources for meal planning templates, like MyPlate
- Focus on protein, fresh produce, and whole grains
Choose your store
- Keep an eye on weekly coupon ads in the paper or online
- Fresh produce, lean meats, dairy or milk alternatives, and eggs are found around the outside of the store
- The middle of the store will contain more processed foods: stick with healthy oils, unsalted nuts, frozen vegetables, canned vegetables, canned tuna, canned beans, grains and oats
Don’t shop when hungry
- Resist temptation at checkout
- Avoid impulse buying
Buy in bulk
- Buying in bulk will save you money in the long run
- Meats can be frozen and used before the sell-by date
Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season
- Less expensive and best flavor
- Only buy what you will use, produce spoils faster
- Look for canned vegetables that are low-sodium or no salt added
- Store brand products cost less, but you might have to look harder for them
Convenience costs more
- Anything already prepared will cost more
- Shred or grate your own cheese
- Buy a head of lettuce instead of bagged salad mixes
Buying on a budget doesn't mean you have to sacrifice tasty food. It also doesn't mean you can't afford to eat healthy.
Fresh produce can be purchased with limited money, however, it will perish faster. Only buy what you need in a short period of time so you are not wasting food and money.
Become an informed shopper. Making lists and preparing ahead of time will ensure that you are only buying products that you need.
Consider Reading These Articles:
- 5 Tips to Healthy Eating After Bariatric Surgery
- How to Shop Healthy at Dollar General
- Gift Ideas for Bariatric Patients
**This blog is for information and education purposes only. This information is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions in regards to a medical condition.