The entire body works to support the immune system, but there are still times that it can fail to defend against microorganisms that make you sick.
There are natural and supplemental ways to strengthen the immune system.
In this article, we discuss natural ways to strengthen your immune response, lifestyle changes, and supplemental preparations.
Vitamin and Minerals That Support Immune Response
The well known vitamins and minerals that support immune response include:
- Vitamin C : antioxidant, fight and prevent infection
- Vitamin E : antioxidant
- Vitamin A : infection fighter
- Vitamin D : reduce the risk of colds
- Zinc : production of new immune cells
- Selenium : antioxidant that strengthens defenses against bacteria and viruses
Eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables can provide an adequate amount of these vitamins and minerals in order to strengthen the immune system. However, bariatric surgery offers a barrier when it comes to consuming variety in the diet. Due to the restriction, malabsorption of nutrients, or combination of both, bariatric supplements are required lifelong.
That being said, your daily bariatric multivitamin includes all of the vitamins and minerals that strengthen the immune system. Before looking for additional supplements to enhance the immune system, the main focus should be on consistent intake of your daily bariatric multivitamin for immune support. Do not add additional supplements for immune support unless recommendations are made by your healthcare provider.
Other Factors That Affect Immune Response
Other factors that can strengthen the immune system include:
- Regular exercise : Incorporate a minimum of 150 minutes/week, including strength training 2-3 times/week
- Probiotics : Proper bacterial balance in the intestinal tract can support the interaction of immune cells, decrease growth of pathogens in the gut, and support nutrient absorption that can promote immune response
- Adequate sleep : at least 7 hours/night to promote immune function
- Healthy diet and lifestyle : quit smoking and limit alcohol drinking
- Personal hygiene : hand washing
- Stress management : find activities that help you cope with daily stress
A bariatric specific multivitamin that is required for life in order to prevent common deficiencies will provide you with these daily immune boosting vitamins and minerals.
Additional supplements, noted above, are only suggestions and should be used in moderation when following doctor recommendations.
**This blog is for information and education purposes only. This information is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions in regards to a medical condition. A qualified healthcare professional can best assist you in deciding whether a dietary supplement is suitable based on your individual needs.