What is Protein?
- Macronutrient constantly being broken down and replaced
- Supports skeletal muscle, organs, hormones and healthy metabolism
- Promotes wound healing and proper nutrition
- Maintains and builds muscle
- Curbs hunger
If it is not consumed in high enough amounts after bariatric surgery, then the body will break down muscle to compensate. Therefore, it is important to replenish the body with high quality and adequate amounts of protein.
Protein in the diet
Make sure you are eating enough protein-rich foods at each meal. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) guidelines recommend 60-80g of protein daily after surgery. Some individuals may require more depending on the procedure performed and the body’s response post-operation. Protein can make you feel satiated quicker and longer. Some healthy food options include:
- Lean meat
- Low-fat dairy
- Beans and tofu
It can be difficult changing your lifestyle after weight loss surgery, so it may be helpful to log food intake in order to understand how much and how often you are consuming protein sources.
Bariatric Fusion High Protein Meal Replacement Shakes after weight loss surgery are a great way to:
- Replace meals with a calorically controlled option
- Curb hunger
- Offer a wide variety of great tasting flavors
- Convenient and can be made at home or on the go
Mix with water, skim milk, almond milk, or any other milk substitute.
Our next article Recovery After Gastric Bypass Surgery provides further information about recovery after the surgery.
Not all protein supplements are equal
A protein supplement is:
- Sold in different forms ranging from a powder to a pill
- Offer extra protein in order to reach goals without additional calories, fiber, or further nutrients
- Lower in calories than a meal replacement shake
- Do not offer added vitamins and minerals other than what is provided by the protein source (whey contains some calcium)
High protein meal replacement shakes:
- Mimic a small meal that is lower in calories, fat and carbohydrates, with high protein
- Includes high protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals
- Include an amino acid profile that makes it a complete protein (includes all 9 essential amino acids)
- Allow you to become more accustomed to smaller portion sizes
- Commonly recommended by a doctor or dietitian through a weight loss program
Check your protein label
There are multiple brands and flavors of meal replacement shakes in stores, making it harder to choose. After weight loss surgery, it's important to look for a product that is:
- High quality
- Easily absorbed
- Contains all of the essential amino acids (your body cannot make these)
- Whey protein isolate
- Higher accumulation of protein in smaller volumes when compared to concentrates
- Cleaner taste
- Better mixing
- Suitable for lactose intolerant
Why Bariatric Fusion Protein?
Bariatric Fusion offers protein meal replacement shakes with the highest quality whey protein isolate specifically designed for weight loss surgery patients. Our meal replacement shakes include 27g of protein along with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. We should also mention that our bariatric specific meal replacement protein shakes taste great! Bariatric Fusion offers multiple flavors including chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, cappuccino and more. Click the link below for protein meal replacement shakes:
Bariatric Fusion protein products are formulated specifically for Bariatric Surgeries including Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, and Intra-Gastric Balloon.
**This blog is for information and education purposes only. This information is not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions in regards to a medical condition. A qualified healthcare professional can best assist you in deciding whether a dietary supplement is suitable based on your individual needs.